Thursday, August 27, 2009

Persephone's Peacocks

So, I started on the formal wear version of the peacock. It's going to be hard to get decent pictures of, but this should give you the idea.
And it occurred to me:
Persephone lives half the year above ground in fields and tending crops (first peacock) and half the year in the Underworld with Hades (this peacock). One of the legends I read talked about Hades building Persephone a garden made of precious metals and jewels, flowers and trees and birds and animals all made from gold and gems, which sort of works for this colorway I think. So these two could be a set. (Yes, I know peacocks are Hera's birds, but I'm riffing I guess.)
I've been listening to Bullfinch's Mythology and it's lots of fun (goes with the Percy Jackson books). Got this stuff on the brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment