Friday, March 11, 2011

In the kitchen with Dinah

I used to sing that song a lot as a kid.
A very long suffering person I work and knit with has been making Rowan's Dinah for the better part of a year now.  This is the sweater.  I don't know why they photographed the poor model in that pose - makes her look kind of insane and the sweater really doesn't show to much effect.  But, if you have a Ravelry account, you can search it there under patterns and see some handsome FO's (finished objects).
Anyway, this poor woman I knit with is making Dinah with handspun, so not only has she had to redo the gauge, but handspun is wonky.  If you've ever knit with it you know; it leans, it does a craptastic job of making shaped sweater pieces, and so the whole project has been a nightmare, but she's almost done and it will be lovely when she's finished.
Perhaps I'm morbid but her struggles have inspired me.  I don't think I gawk at traffic accidents, perhaps I give myself too much credit.
I want to try Dinah myself and here's my materials list:


I think this pattern has a lot of potential, but is fraught with peril, too.  Here's why:
Color placement can wreck it - light on top, dark on bottom or you'll look like a house.  Too light of a color (pink) could make it look bed-jackety in a very unappealing way (for me).  I think those who have actual figures (I kind of look like a 12 year old boy) might want to avoid this pattern.  And for god's sake, don't let the change in fabric happen directly in the middle of your bust!  Doing that a.) draws attention to your boobs in a way that's just going to ruin conversations for blocks around and b.) will make you look like a house.  Think empire waist dress, not mohair waterfall off the chest.
So now that's I've tempted the fates in every possible way with my knitting arrogance, I'm going to make this puppy.  I'm going to reduce the poof a bit and use beads very sparingly to weight the curtain of Aloft.
And yes, this is going to have a bow!  If you know me, the bow idea will be a hoot and a half.
Happy Friday!
p.s. I'm working with my loud Aloft making a scarf - I'll take a picture soon, it's LOVELY - not sheddy, easy to work with, fantastic colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment