17 skeins Shine Worsted Sunflower
size 6 and 7 circular needles
Size: Women's small to medium
On smaller needles, cast on 108 stitches for the neck. Join and work in straight stitch for 2.25 inches, placing a marker for the beginning of the rounds, then markers dividing the work into 4 sections of 33 stitches (front), 21 stitches (right sleeve), 33 stitches (back), 21 stitches (left sleeve).
Change to larger needles and work 5 rows plain in straight stitch. Next row, begin increases as follows:
- Row one: [Starting at the initial marker] *knit one, work one Left Edge increase (see Vogue Knitting ISBN 039457186X, pp. 41), knit to within 2 stitches of the next marker, work one Right Edge increase (see Vogue Knitting ISBN 039457186X, pp. 41), knit 1, pass next marker**. Repeat * to ** 3 more times, until completing one full found, increasing 8 stitches in total.
- Row two: Work one round plain (no increases).
Work five rounds without increases, then divide the sweater for body and arms this way:
- Knit across 85 stitches for the front, with a scrap piece of yarn, place the 73 stitches for the right sleeve and secure them. With another piece of scrap yarn cast on 12 stitches and then knit over them continuing from the front of the sweater - total of 97 stitches. Continue across the 85 stitches of the back of the sweater, with a scrap piece of yarn, place the 73 stitches for the right sleeve and secure them. With another piece of scrap yarn cast on 12 stitches and then knit over them and join back up with the front of the sweater. Work until piece measures desired length (this was 19 inches) and finish by casting off 6 stitches evenly spaced at the same time changing to smaller needles and working 1.5 inches of tighter straight stitch to form a roll bottom.
- Join another skein of yarn and work 73 stitches for the first sleeve. Next, with a piece of scrap yarn, cast on 12 stitches and then knit over them and placing a marker between the 6th and 7th stitches, joining all stitches into a circle, being careful not to twist the cast on stitches.
- Work straight for 2 inches, the begin casting off for sleeve seams - treat the marker as the beginning of each round.
- Knit one, knit 2 together, knit 79, slip, slip knit 2 together, knit one.
- Work 4 rounds straight.
- Work these 5 rounds 17 times = 51 stitches.
- Work 2 rows straight.
- Change to size 6 needles and decrease 11 stitches evenly spaced = 40 stitches.
- Work knit 2, purl 2 twist rib for 3 inches, then work plain knit 2, purl 2 rib for 3 inches. Cast off loosely.
- Finish cuffs by folding them inside and sewing down the edges along the beginning of the cuff ribbing (loosely).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
(If you make any interesting versions, I'd love to hear about them.)