Friday, November 16, 2007

Two nights of hunched over scribbling


Here it is - one side anyway.
It took a couple of tries to get the main cable done, because there are some stitches that are completely added in process - i.e., the panel begins with 49, but increases up to 53 at it's widest point.
Steph says she's never done a cable piece before and has started working on swatches.
First of all, good for you! I've been knitting since I was 4 and it really, no joke, took me into my 36th year on the planet to learn that "no, it's not different because I'm me, you can't be a free spirit when it comes to gauge, haste makes waste and if you don't like it RIP IT OUT". And I am such a happier person and better knitter for finally getting that through my dumb head.
When it comes to working with cables, I love Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara Walker. I like visualizing things like this, so I'll get some 10 sq./in. graph paper, pick cables and lay out the front/back/sleeves. Of course, you can buy software that does this nowadays, but I think it helps me to troubleshoot my cables doing it by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment